Linux web hosting / LAMP

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 20:17:45 IST 2010

Hi,

2010/12/15 Uri Even-Chen <uri at speedy.net>

> Hi,
>
> I want to build a new social networking website called Speedy Net. I
> want to use PHP, Javascript and MySQL (LAMP). I am considering where
> to host this website, where one of the options is using Rackspace
> Cloud [http://www.rackspacecloud.com]. If I use Rackspace Cloud, I
> will need to select what type of hosting I want - cloud servers
> (managed or not), cloud sites or cloud files
> [https://signup.rackspacecloud.com/signup?id=1238]. I also need to
> select what Linux distribution to use
> [
> http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/technology/index.php#os_apps
> ].
> The available options are:

It really depends where are your users located. I tried few days ago their
cloud offers wrote about it on my business blog
here<http://blog.hetz.biz/?p=192>
.

> Arch 2010.05
> CentOS 5.5
> CentOS 5.4
> Debian 5.0 (Lenny)
> Fedora 14 (Laughlin)
> Fedora 13 (Goddard)
> Fedora 12 (Constantine)
> Gentoo 10.1
> Oracle EL R5U4
> Oracle EL R5U3 JEOS
> Red Hat EL 5.4
> Red Hat EL 5.3
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
> Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
> Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)
> Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS (Hardy Heron)

It's really up to you to decide which distribution to use. Red Hat EL costs
more because it includes subscriptions.

> I don't know which distribution to choose! I only used Red Hat Linux,
> about 10 years ago, and even if I select Red Hat - I don't know which
> one. I don't know the difference between distributions, I just know I
> need LAMP.
>
> What do you recommend?

All of those distributions can do the job well, it's up to you to decide
which you're comfortable with.

> Also, I understand if I choose an unmanaged server, I will need to
> install everything myself - including Apache, PHP and MySQL? Or are
> they installed in the distributions?

They probably install the minimal distribution and you'll need to either
install with yum or apt-get (depends on the distribution) the rest of the
packages. It shouldn't take more then few minutes to do the install.

One thing that you do need - is to find someone who will manage the
server(s) for you, because Rackspace support won't do the job for you unless
you buy the much more expensive "managed" solution.

> How do I backup the database and files? Do I need to select a managed
> server?

mysqldump, tar, pgdump and other tools available for backup. Do you need to
select a managed server? I didn't see any cloud offer from them which is
managed. They give managing option for physical servers but you'll need to
pay few hundred dollars each month for that.

> I also received a list of PHP Web Hosting
> [http://www.webhostingreport.com/best-php-hosting.html], but I'm quite
> suspicious of "unlimited" web hosting, for around $3.50 per month. How
> can web hosting be unlimited? Do I really get an unlimited website for
> $3.50 per month?!?

There is no free lunch. Those offers give you slow web site, less then
minimal support, and the servers are not stable at all.

Good luck.
Hetz

Thanks,
> Uri Even-Chen
> Mobile Phone: +972-50-9007559
> E-mail: uri at speedy.net
> Website: http://www.speedy.net/

*חץ בן חמו
חץ-ביז (הוסטינג)
*השכרה ואירוח של שרתים פיזיים
השכרת שרתים וירטואליים מקצועיים וגדולים במחירים *קטנים*
בקרו באתרנו בכתובת hetz.biz <http://www.hetz.biz/> ובבלוג שלנו:
blog.hetz.biz
טלפוןן: 0783333113/4/5, אימייל: sales at hetz.biz
מסנג'ר: sales at hetz.biz - סקייפ: heunique