cgi-script shell script wrapping question

Dov Grobgeld dov.grobgeld at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 19:21:44 IST 2010

I'm trying to write a cgi wrapper for a long running command. The command
takes about 10minutes to execute and when running it from the command line
it continously outputs text to stdout. A simplistic cgi-bin wrapper that
tries to execute the script and then writes that it is done fails with the
following message:

 Timeout waiting for output from CGI script ...

What I wonder if there is any easy way to have continously update the web
page with stdout of the script.

One way, I guess would be to run the script in a separate thread and just do
HTML reload on a static page which I would regenaret with the stdout
generated so far.

Is there any other simple solution?

Regards,
Dov