toolchain's output depends on toolchain used to build the compiler?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Feb 9 10:52:53 IST 2010

ronys wrote:
> Hi Shachar,
>
> Interesting problem. Here are some thoughts:
>
> Can you control the level of optimization used by the customer? Does
> -O0 create identical object code?

Havn't tested yet, but my gut feeling is "yes".
> What are the differences in code? Perhaps they're related to the
> different paths? (If the lengths of the paths are different, and
> they're stored somewhere in the object code, that'll change the results)
The question is why should identical source code produce different paths
when compiled with the same compiler?

> You might also want to compare the assembly-language output (-S) to
> narrow down the problem.
-d is better, as it does not overlay the source. If you read what I
wrote - that was what I was doing.

> If the customer needs cygwin for internal use, I'd suggest using a
> virtualization solution such as VirtualBox instead - the integration
> with Windows is quite impressive.
At this point in time, it will have to remain a dual environment.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.