Vi and UTF-8

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Feb 15 18:53:14 IST 2010

On Monday 15 Feb 2010 18:31:26 Geoff Shang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't use Vi so I don't have any idea about this.
>
> A friend is doing some translation work and needs to work in a UTF-8
> environment.  She said she'd prefer to use Vi, but implied that she thinks
> that it doesn't have UTF-8 support.
>
> I'dve thought that it would by now.
>
> So can anyone tell me if Vi (or possibly a clone) has UTF-8 support, and
> if so, if she needs to do anything special to activate it?

Vim and gvim ( http://www.vim.org/ ) have very good support for UTF-8 and
other charsets. Here are some of my links regarding them:

* http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Vim/beginners/

* http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/projects/conf/vim/

* http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Vim/telux-tips-and-tricks/

There are other vi-clones besides Vim, but Vim is the most comprehensive, the
most actively maintained and the most recommended. You really shouldn't be
using a different vi clone.

I should note that people added support for international character sets and
encodings to the traditional vi - http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net/ , but you
really should no longer use it.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish