Vi and UTF-8

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Feb 15 18:56:56 IST 2010

On Monday 15 Feb 2010 18:39:35 shimi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Geoff Shang <geoff at quitelikely.com> wrote:
> > So can anyone tell me if Vi (or possibly a clone) has UTF-8 support, and
> > if so, if she needs to do anything special to activate it?
>
> Google says: http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/mbyte.html
>
> Of course that like any terminal application, the terminal itself needs to
> be able to display what you expect it to display, and this is especially
> true when you are talking about text rendered on the "wrong direction",
> e.g. Hebrew, Arabic, etc.

Vim also has a GUI version (gvim) that can be used to avoid the problems with
the terminal and uses X/Gtk+ or the Windows API directly. I should note that
you can flip the direction of the entire Right-to-left text in Vim in the
terminal too, without being dependent on the terminal's whims, but in any way
either Hebrew/Arabic or Latin would be reversed, so it's not truly bi-
directional.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish