Semi-forced upgrade of browser - problematic when it is Iceweasel

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:19:17 IST 2010

Youtube cuts off support for non HTML-5? that will take ages, since IE7 nor
IE8 really supports well HTML-5.
HTML-5 in Firefox will not be really used since Google encodes video with
H.264, not with Ogg.

In short, I hardly see Youtube cuts of support for non HTML5 browsers for at
least a year, two years.

Thanks,
Hetz

2010/2/18 Omer Zak <w1 at zak.co.il>

> Today when I visited http://www.youtube.com/, I was greeted by a message
> that my browser will be unsupported soon, and my browser was the current
> Iceweasel 3 version from Debian Lenny.
>
> The earliest Firefox version to be supported is Firefox 3.6.
> I quickly browsed http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php (the Debian
> Backports), and found that Firefox 3.5.6 was backported to Debian Lenny
> as Iceweasel 3.5.6.  So I installed it to ease future upgrade to
> Iceweasel 3.6 once it is available.
>
> So now I hope that someone will backport and create Iceweasel 3.6 before
> YouTube cuts off all support for non-HTML5-compliant browsers.
> Otherwise, I may have to install Firefox 3.6 not as a Debian package.
>
>                                                          --- Omer
> P.S.: the upgrade is only semi-forced because YouTube is a Nice To Have
> rather than Essential.
>
> --
> Philip Machanick: "caution: if you write code like this, immediately
> after you are fired the person assigned to maintaining your code after
> you leave will resign"
> My own blog is at http://www.zak.co.il/tddpirate/
>
> My opinions, as expressed in this E-mail message, are mine alone.
> They do not represent the official policy of any organization with which
> I may be affiliated in any way.
> WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org
Skype: heunique