OT: Bezek via netvision

Ron Varburg linux-il at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:47:17 IST 2010

> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:21:05 -0800
> From: alexta69 at yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: OT: Bezek via netvision
> To: valery_reznic at yahoo.com; linux-il at cs.huji.ac.il
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using this service. If your infrastructure (HOT/ADSL) is reliable, it works pretty reliably as well.
>
> They give you the AudioCodes MP202 adapter, as someone has already mentioned. One thing to note is that they put this adapter in front of your PC / router (i.e. it connects to the modem, and the router connects to it), and it takes your public IP to itself and performs NAT. They don't give you the password for the administrator account on the device so basically you lose your public IP, for what it's worth. This is absolutely ludicrous, to me. They set it up in DMZ mode so that incoming connections are forwarded to your router / PC, but if your internal IP changes for some reason, you need to bug them to reconfigure their box. If you have anything at all that requires a public IP anyway (dynamic DNS?), you're out of luck.

Not sure I understand how your internal IP can change. You can always ask to have the MP202
offer the same IP to the other device. One IP range dhcp.

> Another thing is that they set up traffic shaping on this box so that the VOIP calls are not affected by heavy traffic, and the speed degradation is quite noticeable.
>
> Bottom line, the calls are cheap, but it screws with your Internet connection in various ways, and it's basically only as reliable as your connection -- and let me tell you that you don't realize how unreliable Internet infrastructure is here until you put your phone on it.

If you are running a server on your internet connection you should know how reliable it is.
Doesn't NV offer a voice mail box as part of their phone service? For me, both cables and adsl are very reliable. Perhaps the internet reliability depends on your location.

> If I were offered this deal now I wouldn't go for it.

I think that with the current QOS of different land lines phone solutions, QOS should be the least important criteria to consider.