Really bad latency online

Gadi Cohen dragon at wastelands.net
Sat Feb 20 10:27:11 IST 2010

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> I set up a local caching server on my own PC and internet went back to normal.
>>

> I'm googling that now. Do you use bind or something else? Thanks.

Yeah, I use BIND (otherwise known as named).  But from having a quick
look around now it seems there are pre-prepared packages for various
distributions to set this up in a more convenient way.  I did it by
hand, so can't vouch for these pages, but they look good and may help you:

http://ubuntulinuxhelp.com/speed-up-web-browsing-by-caching-dns-to-your-hard-drive-in-ubuntu/
http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/08/02/local-dns-cache-for-faster-browsing/

Of course, you could also just place some alternative nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf to confirm if this solves your problem.  I believe
google and opendns have publically usable servers.

Good luck :)

Gadi

--
Gadi Cohen aka Kinslayer <dragon at wastelands.net> www.wastelands.net
Freelance admin/coding/design HABONIM DROR linux/fantasy enthusiast