Opinions on John Bryce and Hi-Tech College Linux courses?

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Sun Feb 21 12:12:10 IST 2010

Hi,

I've been asked for advice on Linux courses. The target audience is
sysadmins, competent in Windows but with limited Linux experience. The
idea is increasing their efficiency in Linux significantly, as the
company introduces Linux (RHEL) servers to the product. That is, they
need more than primitive shell scripting, they need to know how to
plan, install, and maintain server systems as systems, support
development and QA, etc. Desktop is not a goal at this point.

I have looked at the syllabi of some courses offered by John Bryce and
Hi-Tech College (I was surprised to find that the HTC courses had
identical counterparts at JB - same people teaching at both places?).
To me it seems that the Red Hat Linux System Administration course
(32h, I guess 4 days) is the most suitable among the few I looked at,
but that's a limited sample, and I *only* looked at the syllabi, I
realize that a lot depends on the lecturer and the audience, etc.

I am interested in reviews, suggestions, opinions from those who took
such courses, from those who teach such courses (I'll trust everyone
here to disclose conflicts of interest and I'll correct for the bias
accordingly).

Feel free to email me off list (you don't have to). Thanks,

Oleg Goldshmidt | oleg at goldshmidt.org