Open Office Writer cannot do vertical text and numbers

mbrace7forums at aim.com mbrace7forums at aim.com
Mon Feb 22 14:24:09 IST 2010

Vertical text as button is "Only available when Asian language support is enabled." (quoted from Help file).

To get vertical text type your text and rotate it 90 degrees.

Please add [Solved] to the heading of the first post (click Edit button).
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=64325

floris_v wrote:
Vertical text as button is "Only available when Asian language support is enabled." (quoted from Help file).

To get vertical text type your text and rotate it 90 degrees.

It's true that vertical text is only available with Asian language supported, and if you select that you do have the ability to use any font to write vertically, if you want the letters to remain upright and read down the page. You'll find that a number of other things change with this option selected, and some dialogs become a bit busier; but if you really need this type of vertical text, it might be worth the extra stuff.

Otherwise, carnold. if what you want is something that reads sideways (like a book spine, for example) then you'd just use text rotation as floris_v suggests.