Runtime security/memory checks for gcc/gdb

guy keren choo at actcom.co.il
Tue Jan 12 16:40:54 IST 2010

Elazar Leibovich wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz
> <mailto:shachar at shemesh.biz>> wrote:
>
>     Elazar Leibovich wrote:
>>     I tried using valgrind in a different project. The main problems
>>     I've had with valgrind are speed
>     Yes, that is known.
>>     and false positives.
>     That one is new to me. Can you elaborate?
>
> IIRC the problem was using a different library, and tracing which
> problems are yours and which are of the library.
> See for instance this
> rant http://www.mega-nerd.com/erikd/Blog/CodeHacking/house_of_cards.html
> I haven't really got into this, so maybe the suprresion files does allow
> you to quickly fix it.

suppressions are very easy to generate (after you learn to spell the
word ;) - you run valgrind with the flag "--gen-suppressions" - and
every time it hits a problem - it will ask you whether to generage a
suppression. if you say yes, it'll print the suppression info on screen.

you copy this to a file, edit it a little to your liking (to make it a
bit more general - i.e. not depend on the specific part in your code
that invoked the problematic 3rd-part library), and it works.

by the way - we had real false-positives in valgrind, that were fixed in
a later valgrind version. so you will have to check this as well.

--guy