Asterisk shabbat mode?

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sun Jan 17 15:58:36 IST 2010

On 17/01/2010, at 15:32, ik wrote:

> But for that you need to know when is the shabat enter a specific location,
> so you need extra program for it (even if it's pure bash), to calculate the
> exact time it started. I think that the berkley should have the exact time
> and date for each week for that.
> I agree that you can execute it like so, but it requires a bit more work
> then what you are pointing out imho.

Hebcal gives me the date and time for candle lighting and havdala like so:

sambo at zeraim:~$ hebcal -C jerusalem -cerm 42
1.1.2010	Candle lighting:  4:06
2.1.2010	Havdalah (42 min): 5:28
8.1.2010	Candle lighting:  4:11
9.1.2010	Havdalah (42 min): 5:34

(42 minutes for havdala, default is 72)

etc... for the whole year.  You can also get a specific date.  I haven't yet figured out how to get it to give me "this week", but simple enough to parse the date out of the output.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Hebcal-10219.shtml

--sambo