Supporting legacy parallel-port dependent HW via USB-to-parallel and virtualization

Udi Finkelstein Linux-IL at udif.com
Mon Jan 18 12:03:17 IST 2010

I have an old universal programmer (i.e. for programming
Flash/PLD/Microcontroller chips) that is parallel port based.
Since new computers with a parallel port are harder to come by (if at all),
I'm looking for a solution that will let me use it with a USB connection.

Is there a solution that involves a USB to parallel cable, and a
virtualization software that traps HW parallel port accesses and emulate
them through the USB<>parallel interface?

The control program for the above programmer only runs under W2000 or DOS,
but the virtualization solution can run under Linux.

thanks,
Udi