Looking for a cheap (and relatively reliable) .us/.ca-based SSH/rsync/PHP/Perl 5 web hosting

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Jan 26 18:12:44 IST 2010

On Tuesday 26 Jan 2010 16:47:35 Ori Berger wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > 1. Be able to host a web-service for http://backup.shlomifish.org/ there.
> > Optionally other arbitrary domains at no extra charge.
> >
> > 2. Static content, Perl 5 CGI and PHP 5.
> >
> > 3. SSH with rsync. (No virtual server - and please don't bug me about
> > it).
>
> I assume you're ok with a Virtual Machine, though; if not, that is at
> odds with the requirement for 'cheap'.

Sorry for not being clear. I just want a shared ssh/web/etc. account on a
server with many other hosters - not my own VM, VPS, server or whatever.

> > 4. Ability to accept payments by PayPal.
> >
> > 5. Cheap.
> >
> > 6. Located in .us/.ca.
>
> You can get a 128MB virtual machine which would be sufficient unless
> your perl5/php5 code is really memory hungry. At <http://prgmr.com/xen/>
> it costs $6/month,  less than $60/year. (You can go cheaper with a 64MB
> plan; however, don't expect to e.g. compile anything on it). VPSlink
> gives same service and costs a little more. I believe both accept
> paypal, but I'm not sure.

I see - I don't want a virtual machine - I want a shell account where I can
host web-domains with plain HTML, PHP 5 and Perl/CGI.

> You will have to set up your own DNS, web server etc, but anything's
> doable.
>
> Just in case managed virtual server in the UK with ssh and rsync is
> acceptable, <http://www.34sp.com/professional-hosting> will cost you
> $7/month. Can host subdomains but not arbitrary domains.

I don't want a virtual server. Managing it is a royal pain.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish