SSH problem

Ehud Karni ehud at unix.mvs.co.il
Thu Jan 28 18:14:35 IST 2010

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:18:51 Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> The permission issue is the first thing I checked. Everything is ok there
> The log portion which I posted is what appears in the secure log file.
> Trying to disable Kerberos doesn't help.
>
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il>wrote:
> >
> > A very common reason is that it doesn't have the proper permissions.
> > Make sure that nobody else but you have any permissions for ~/.ssh and
> > ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (run "chmod og=" on these
> > files if they have the wrong permission).

I think Nadav has pointed you to the real problem.

On the server, change the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.
Add/change the permission line:
    StrictModes no         # usually it is set to yes

Disabling Kerberos and GSSAPI should not change anything (may be a
slight shorter protocol exchange) because they are just MORE options.

For a more secure machine I would disable password authentication, i.e
    PasswordAuthentication no

You must restart sshd to have the new options.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign