secure DNS hosting?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 22:07:18 IST 2010

On 29 January 2010 01:38, Ori Berger <linux-il at orib.net> wrote:
> Amos Shapira wrote:
>>
>> What are you refering to by "server certificates, client certificates,
>> RSA tokens etc"? Are you talking about DNS-SEC or just general web
>> server security practices?
>>

> General web server security practices; A server certificate tells the client
> that this server has been trusted by a known certificate authority to serve
> a specific domain. That's not perfect, as hackers have already demonstrated
> being able to get certificates for domains they do not own, and a specific
> certificate signing bug (since patched) allowed certificates for specially
> crafted domain names to pass as certificates for other domains.
>
> It does, however, make life harder for the hacker and works well against
> simple "man-in-the-middle" attack.

Thanks. I'm aware of all that.

> A client certificate proves to your server that the client posses a
> certificate, without sending it online. This provides some defense against a
> man-in-the-middle attack or keyboard logging/password sniffing -- but of
> course, not helpful if the client machine was compromised and rooted.

Aware of that too. We'll include client certificate as an
authentication option for our API servers at some stage.

> RSA tokens (I'm sure there are other manufacturers) are small devices,
> usually credit card sized, that display a password that keeps changing every
> minute. Identity is verified by the client having access to the up to date
> password at log-in times and when performing sensitive actions.

Also aware, not relevant in our case (we are aiming for self-service).

>> I'm at the "reading the brochure" stage and google'ing a bit about
>> them but one of the points I think I got through is that they have
>> their own servers and cooperation with major ISP's in many places
>> around the world in order to reduce the exposure to external DNS
>> vulnerabilities.
>>

> That sounds like good practice. Make sure that this is true regarding where
> your clients are located; e.g. they might have wonderful infrastructure in
> the US but not in Australia, or vice versa.

Our clients are global companies who's clients (and attackers) can
come from anywhere.

This last bit reminded me of another question, I'll post it on another thread.

Cheers,

--Amos