linux beivrit

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 00:15:15 IDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Micha <michf at post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> On 05/07/2010 18:18, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
>

>> [snipped]

>> Another option is to print it to PDF, but it's rather clumsy, because
>> the reviewer cannot edit directly your document.
>>

> First of all, you should stop top posting. It's frown upon in linux mailing
> lists even more than giving microsoft documents to linux users.

I apologize, I wasn't aware to this fact.

> Second, I don't know what field you are in, but at least in applied
>  mathematics in Israel, I don't know anyone who knows what to do with a word
> document.

Well, in undergraduate math courses in the open University they accepted
homeworks as doc files. I sent it as PDF file, but then I wouldn't get any
inline comments (and actually thus almost no comments at all). Because good
free PDF-commenting tools are not available, or that the graders are not
willing to use such a tools.

WYSIWYG tools really shines for grading assignments. It's much easier to
include comments in such a tool, and MS Word is the de facto standard.

I agree that word is not ideal for mathematical notations (although in the
latest versions it's better than TeX in some aspects IMHO), and anyhow TeX
is the standard for papers and thesis. But it's still usable, and might be
better for some purposes. If I'll send to anyone in the open university a
short word document describing a proof - I know he'll be able to read it,
and to easily edit it.
If I'll send an ".odt" documents - I know for sure almost no one will be
able to read that.

I'll be surprised if in the Tel Aviv University many applied math professors
are not able to read MS Word documents.