linux beivrit

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Jul 6 02:14:41 IDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 03:16:38PM +0300, Raz wrote:
> Hey linux il and others
> In http://sos-linux.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sos-linux/LinuxHebrew/
> you'll find a small book for linux beginners in pdf format and doc
> format. anyone willing  to send his reviews and remarks please send it
> to me to this email. please edit it in word and use "track changes".
> access:
> Simply download file one at a time through the web interface.
> In case you wish to add an entire section, you'll be acknowledged.

Looks nice.

A few points:

1. What's the point in keeping all of those files under version control?
Why not just use some FTP directory?

2. The book seems to use screenshots extensively. I can't copy text from
a screenshot. Please try to use actual text rather than a screenshot if
the window in case is a terminal. This will also greatly reduce the size
of the file (well, not really, as you keep all the history in the file).

3. You write about ls:

ls מקבלת תווים מיוחדים שתפקידם לייצג תבנית חיפוש  , סימן הכוכב* מייצג
מספר כלשהו של תווים

I hope you explain later on that this is not ls that interperts those
wildcards.

4. rar is in the same class as tar (archiver) not as gzip (simpple
file/stream compressor). Nobody really uses rar, and there's really no
use mentioning it (you have not mentioned "rar-nonfree" and where
exactly rar 3.x archives are supported. Let's just avoid the topic
altogether). Maybe consider mentioning zip / unzip.

One other question: does Docbook work well for Hebrew? Anybody tried it?

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best