Why are the serial port numbers changing?

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 20:45:45 IDT 2010

IIRC correctly, it's due to the new features in Ubuntu (and Fedora): Each
time you boot the machine, it re-maps everything, although most of the maps
remains the same.

You can, after the machine has finished booting, scan the tty for the new
serial ports and use them whatever you like, since the /dev tree is being
re-created every boot.

Hetz

2010/7/8 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>

> A machine with a Gigabyte g33 motherboard and two serial expansion
> cards has an interesting situation in which on each boot the serial
> ports get different tty numbers. Why should they change on each boot,
> and how can I prevent that?
>
> The machine is currently running Ubuntu 10.04. I had run various
> Ubuntus and Debians without issue in the past. Thanks.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://gibberish.co.il
> http://what-is-what.com