acl group permissions

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Sun Jul 11 15:30:55 IDT 2010

2010/7/11 camelia <camelia.botez at weizmann.ac.il>

>  We have a server runing RHEL 4.
>
> We created for an already existing file system acl looking like this:
>

> # file: ngs
>
> # owner: bsgilgi
>
> # group: bioserv
>
> user::rwx
>
> group::rwx
>
> group:bioserv:rwx
>
> mask::rwx
>
> other::r-x
>
> default:user::rwx
>
> default:group::rwx
>
> default:group:bioserv:rwx
>
> default:mask::rwx
>
> default:other::r-x
>

> We want to know why the permissions for group bioserv are not inherited on
> subdirectories ( only on the new created directories under group bioserv)
> and why users from bioserv group cannot  r/w files in other users
> directories?

There's no inheritence of permissions in *nix.

There is however a way to inherit the group of the parent directory on new
files, by setting the directory with the suid bit (chmod +s).

If this was not done prior to creating the files, and now needs to be done,
you can simply run:

chgrp -R bioserv <root-dir-name>
chmod -R g+rw <root-dir-name>
find <root-dir-name> -type d -exec chmod g+x '{}' \;

... and I think everything would be OK...

HTH,

-- Shimi