A 12V *AC* power supply

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:27:10 IDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 9:13 AM, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> I bought a USB connected logic analyzer for too much money (not that
> much). When buying, I did a mistake and not thought through the
> issues, and bought from a US supplier without telling them this
> needs to be a 220V country. As a result, I got an external power
> supply that is 110V, which outputs 12V AC at 1000mA (why they do not
> write "1A", I do not know).
>
> To my shame, I actually bought a universal DC supply without
> noticing that it's AC I need, and started a support call with the
> company. They were very nice, and when we, finally, found out the
> source (I hope it is it), the guy said I could probably get by with
> 18VDC, but it would strain the capacitors (my math suggests that
> 15VDC is closer to the mark).
>
> So, does anyone know where I can get a 12V AC power supply? They are
> not exactly a commodity.

You can buy a 230-> 120 volt transformer at home center. They are
around 100 NIS. Don't buy the 35 NIS ones, they will cause you trouble.

If you have a BEZEQ Siemens router (some say Rotal on them) it uses a
12 volt 1000ma adapator. There are plenty of them lying around from
when people upgraded to NGN or 802.11N.

I just took a DC adaptor and removed the components that coverted the
AC to DC. I did that for some modems that needed AC but came without
adaptors.

You could also try YS Metronics. They probably have what you need.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will