A 12V *AC* power supply

Udi Finkelstein Linux-IL at udif.com
Tue Jul 13 10:18:33 IDT 2010

Since you mentioned you bought a USB based Logic analyzer, I thought I'd
mention the open-source approach.
I was searching for years for a low-cost Logic Analyzer until I found this
(i.e. something I can pay for a hobby without feeling I'm wasting too much
money).

The Open Logic Sniffer is a fully open source Logic analyzer, with up to
~100MHz sample rate, and up to 32 bit inputs.
It is USB based, and has full source code for everything from the
schematics, PCB layout, PIC firmware and the VHDL source code for the Xilinx
FPGA (Spartan 3E 250), and the multiple clients available.
The cost is ~$45 including shipping to Israel here:
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-pirate-v3-assembled-p-609.html?cPath=61_68

http://dangerousprototypes.com/open-logic-sniffer/
http://www.gadgetfactory.net/gf/project/butterflylogic/

Another companion product is the Bus Pirate, a low speed, low cost USB based
tool for hacking serial buses (I2C, SPI, JTAG, etc.). It can also be used to
program AVR, PIC microcontrollers. Like the Open Logic sniffer, the Bus
Pirate is also full open source.
The Bus pirate is an essential tool in case you manage to erase the PIC
bootloader on the Open Logic sniffer.

This one costs ~$27 also from Seeed:
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preorder-open-workbench-logic-sniffer-p-612.html?cPath=75

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate

Generally speaking, SeeedStudio combines the open source spirit with the low
manufacturing costs at china, low price margins, and very low airmail
shipping costs.

Udi