New Freecell Solver gcc-4.5.0 vs. LLVM+clang Benchmark

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Sun Jul 18 10:03:32 IDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010, Shlomi Fish wrote about "New Freecell Solver gcc-4.5.0 vs. LLVM+clang Benchmark":
> On the other hand, with gcc-4.5.0 with "-flto" and "-fwhole-program" Freecell
> Solver ran at 85.1303749084473 seconds.
>
> I admit that I ran the gcc benchmark with a good renice and only in the
> virtual console, while running the LLVM/clang benchmark without a renice and
> in KDE and Compiz, but it still cannot explain the dramatic difference.

Two nitpicks:

1. Instead of admitting to not running the two benchmarks in the same
   conditions, can't you spare another 85 seconds (!) and run one of them
   again?

2. Do you really think that your measurements are accurate down to the
   individual picosecond? :-)

Anyway, I guess that in any case it shows that gcc has nothing to be ashamed
of.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |           Sunday, Jul 18 2010, 7 Av 5770