TAU lectures, BG Airport departures/arrivals, Kupat Holim lab results -- Linux

Ariel Biener ariel at post.tau.ac.il
Mon Jul 26 20:35:00 IDT 2010

Going to the state comptroller is a avenue to be used after you
have exhausted other possible options.

I have no idea about other sites, but if you do have a problem with
TAU websites or browser compatibility, the least would be to
open a ticket with TAU helpdesk, and let TAU fix the problem
(which they will if they can, unlike other sites).

While I may agree that in general, it is desirable that sites would be
cross platform, and that if other avenues were tried and they failed,
turning to the state comptroller may be an option, I find the below
e-mail a popolistic arms wrestling attempt, nothing more.

--Ariel

Stan Goodman wrote:
> There was some discussion here not long ago about the tendency of Israeli
> website owners to ignore issues of access by users of non-Microsoft
> browsers, and there seemed then to be a feeling that "something ought to
> be done about it". That feeling seems to have dissipated, although the
> problem remains (and promises to get worse).
>
> To challenge the indifference of web designers to the problem seems a lost
> cause, as many of them have "learned" (I use the term loosely) to code in
> inexpensive Microsoft-sponsored courses which exist largely for the
> purpose of indoctrinating their students in the belief that
> MS "enhancements" are the best or only way to code web pages; they are
> not knowledgeable enough to understand arguments to the contrary. Owners
> of websites are also not a productive target for persuasion, e.g. because
> they feel that if they are reaching 90% of their clients, they have done
> as well as they ever can do, which really is not an illogical business
> decision.
>
> On the other hand, all the organizations listed in the Subject line above
> are quasi-governmental agencies, and therefore have a responsibility to
> serve any member of the public who is equipped with standard apparatus,
> without regard to specific proprietary gear. They are all subject to the
> oversight of the State Comptroller, and I submit that the State
> Comptroller is the office that should be approached with the complaint
> and argument that these agencies are delinquent in their responsibility,
> given that e.g. Firefox is compliant with standards, whereas Internet
> Explorer (although universally favored by the ignoramuses who code the
> websites in question) is not.
>
> If this makes sense to others, and if there is still interest in
> rectifying this long-time problem, I propose that a proper complaint be
> lodged with the Comptroller, who is bound to respond within a length of
> time set by law (I think it is three months). I think that this letter
> should be be drafted by a committee representing IGLU and signed by the
> largest possible number of  members.
>
> The problem is not going to go away by itself.

 Ariel Biener
 e-mail: ariel at post.tau.ac.il
 PGP: http://www.tau.ac.il/~ariel/pgp.html