Server Disk Problem

Daniel Feiglin dilogsys at inter.net.il
Wed Jul 28 11:14:22 IDT 2010

Hi folks!

Here we go:

In addition to posting this query, I found and downloaded a short LVM
Howto. In addition, I used a live openSUSE 11.3 CD. Following the Howto,
I was able to discern that:

1. The server had two LVM volumes on two separate physical drives
configured for RAID 1.
2. They showed as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
3. After going through the Howto instructions, I was able to demonstrate
that sda was corrupted and unmountable as an LVM drive but sdb was OK,
and I was able to get into it and copy data to a disk on key.

If anyone is interested, I will prepare a log of the procedure and post
it. At this point I am using the LVM instructions as a bit of a parrot,
but that looks likely to change for the better. :)

Thanks for your response,

Daniel

P.S. If anyone is wondering, "why openSUSE and not ...?", please note
that I have been a SUSE user since 1999 and I'm too lazy to change. In
any event, 11.3 seems to be a good release.