Wireless connection to a remote station

Dan Shimshoni danshimsh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 09:36:52 IDT 2010

Hello,

This is a bit uncommon question:
  - I have a PC running linux in a basement which is quite far from
the Access Point of the house.
I want to take advantage of this place to work and to be able to connect
to the Internet from this PC in this quite corner.
I cannot see the wireless Access Point while scanning with this PC. I tried to
connect a long USB cable with a USB wireless NIC,
but I get USB errors while using it. I know I can try to move the
wireless Access Point
closer, but I am afraid that other PCs (which also run Linux) will
then suffer lose of wireless
connection. I really want to solve my problem without moving it.
so my question is: What do you advise ? can  I use the exisiting infrasturcture
without changes (only additions are OK) to be able to connect to the internet?

Can I somehow connect a second wireless Access Point by ethernet cable, and then
connect that Access Point (by wireless) to the first, main Access
Point ? (something like a bridge).
I saw something which is called
Wireless Distribution System (WDS)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

Could I use this ? is there any wireless Access Point which
is sold in local stores in Israel which supports this feature ?

Rgs,
DS