[not entirely OT] proper terms for grades of freedom

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Thu Jun 10 14:26:20 IDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Oleg Goldshmidt <pub at goldshmidt.org> wrote:

> Are there licenses that allow private modifications but not
> distribution of either original or modified program?

I know of at least one, though it was not part of a Well Known License,
rather than the license terms the guy invented by himself. The qmail MTA.
Its author allowed redistribution in source code form only, and IIRC,
without changes to the source (you had to attach patches and let end users
do the patching artwork). Binary distribution, even of unmodified code, was
not allowed.

Many years people begged him to change his mind. I just checked now, and it
seems that one version was release as public domain, thus (IANAL) removing
all the above restrictions.

The license behind Firefox doesn't allow you to distribute a binary branded
with the Mozilla name - might also be related to what you're looking?

Those are the famous things that crossed my mind...

-- Shimi