Migrating kde data from kde3 to kde4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 00:29:59 IDT 2010

On 14 June 2010 00:03, Stan Goodman <stan.goodman at hashkedim.com> wrote:
> I too keep /home on a separate partition, and have thought about keeping
> the same /home partition intact across upgrades, but I have never dared to
> do so. So my situation is different enough from yours that I still need to
> ask the following question more explicitly:

I also keep a separate /home. Each distro get the user name as per the
distro name and installed partition, and when I've checked that
everything works then I simply move my personal files from one
/home/user to another.

For instance, my current username is karmic1 because I am using Ubuntu
9.10 in sda1. When I installed Ubuntu 10.04 to sda2 I called the user
lucid2. That was a bad distro, so I'm still using the old karmic1 user
and booting into Ubuntu 9.10.

> Dotan suggests carrying over only ~/.kde[4]/share/apps/<appName>. Since
> e.g. kmail is represented in both .kde and .kde4, presumably I should
> carry over both appName directories. But apps also have subdirectories
> ~/.kde[4]/share/config/<appName>, so there are altogether four appName
> subdirectories needed for each  kde app. I'd bother copying at all only
> for kmail and kaddressbook, because that is where imprtant data are.

You must check if your kmail install is using the file from .kde or
.kde4. It is only using one.

> But when v11.2 and kde4 install kmail and kaddressbook, will they actually
> make use of these directories that came from kde3?

In the specific case of Kmail, yes.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il