Problems of a desktop Linux distribution GUI sudo

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 12:52:30 IDT 2010

I think you're missing the very fundamental problem I was discussing.
Sudo is great, having the default user in the admin group, enabling him to
sudo everything is even better. But this applies only when working with the
CLI.
However, when using a GUI system, and administrating your system using the
GUI, you're exposing the user to a great threat. When using the CLI no
software can ask you for input, therefor if you sudo for anything it is
definitely you who did that. It is very hard to trick the user into sudo'ing
something he didn't want to.

When the user is administrating his system through the GUI, he will sudo a
legitimate software by typing his password. It is even worse than that - the
legitimate software which needs to be sudo'd will ask (by means of the
taskbar) from time to time the user to leverage its permission by typing
password.
The authentication scheme the user employ in order to recognize who asked
for permission is only the visual layout of the application. It is very easy
for an attacker to make his software look like the update manager, and ask
the user to update his software through the taskbar. If the casual user is
used to typing his password every time the update manager asks him to update
his system - he'll do that for hostile software which uses the update
manager's icon as well. Even experienced users might be tricked, as you're
having zero visual clue about the software identity.

Sudo here is *not* the problem, it's great. The problem is the
authentication scheme the GUI sudo version employs in order to recognize
which software asked for permission. In windows the authentication scheme
seems to be through signed executables, in current version of Ubuntu the
authentication scheme is zero.