gcc-4.5.0 Success Story with Freecell Solver

Diego Iastrubni elcuco at kde.org
Wed Jun 16 12:34:44 IDT 2010

On יום רביעי 16 יוני 2010 08:33:55 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi Diego,
> > (PS, If you want to fully bootstrap clang instead of just using stage1
> > here, use this "ugly" shell script to get a "clang built with clang built
> > clang", aka stage 3).
> >
> > Please report how good/bad clang is for your case.
>
> Well, after I built clang (which took a while) I was able to compile
> Freecell Solver using it. The first thing I should note is that the
> compilation appeared to have been much slower than with gcc.

oops, you are using the debug build og clang. This is why it's so slow
compiling :)

Look at the shell script attached to the last message, and use the cmake
command there to configure clang:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release ../

To make a good comparison, please to boostrap clang properly (you need at
least stage2, in theory from that point all binaries should be identical).
Building clang here does take about an hour or two, yes, builind a C++
compiler is a long compilation.