platform for number crunching---resume

Shimon Panfil info at industrialphys.com
Sat Jun 19 11:12:29 IDT 2010

Many thanks for everybody who answered my question.
Short resume is following:
1. x86_64 is really the only affordable platform( sure it depends on
definition of "affordable" but anyway people got it right);
2. Good idea is cleaning off the dust from the box and check thermal paste;
3. Is the problem specific to my machine or has general nature still unclear,
since:
a) gamers forums are full of complaints about overheating;
b) nobody provides example of heavy *numerical* load without
overheating, kernel compilation for example is not relevant becouse
AFAIK compiler does not use floating point calculations and power
consumption and heating may be essentially different;
4. All the subject of CPU power consumption and heating is complicated
and needs serious investigation. Most of the references I've seen are
of anecdotal character, very little reliable physical/engineering
information. Probably manufacturers prefer to keep this information
for own use.
S.

--
Shimon Panfil: Industrial Physics and Simulations
http://industrialphys.com