SSL certificate vs. smartcard

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 23:11:54 IDT 2010

Hi,
I'm not an expert with issues like SSL & Smart cards, so I was wondering if
someone could enlighten me with the following questions:

1. What's the advantages of Smart card (other then the fact that you can
take it with you in your wallet) against a standard SSL Certificate? can you
achive the same security with SSL that you can get with Smart card?
2. Are "standard" smart cards (cards which are used to sign documents etc)
compatible with Linux? I think the answer is "Yes", but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks,
Hetz
--
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org