XMoveWindow()

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:55:25 IST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz>wrote:

>  Erez D wrote:
>
> hi
>
> i have an Xlib app.
>

> i created a window. the window manager has reparented to add a frame and
> titlebar to it.
>
> when i move the window to pos(x,y) using XMoveWindow(), it moves but
> positions the WM's window (e.g. the titlebar topleft)  at (x,y) instead of
> my window.
>
> i tryied using _NET_MOVERESIZE_WINDOW instead. but can't seem to make it
> work, it may be not supported under the window manager.
>
> any idea ?
>
> A window manager is not just another X application. It gets early
> notifications + veto power over many window operations that take place. Yes,
> window movement is one of them.
>
> If you think about it, it makes sense. Had that not been the case, your
> "move window" would move your window in relation to the WM's decoration
> window, rather than in relation to the screen coordinates (as you probably
> meant).
>
> Since the move window operation is actually performed by the window
> manager, it is also the one you should turn to in case it does not do what
> you expect it to.

No. It doesn't make sense. not to me anyway.
I care about the position and size of the client area, not the gross window.
Now it depends on which wm i use, or if i use one at all.

it seems that the WM's window gets a configureNotify event with the position
intended for my window, so naturaly, my window is placed in an ofset
relative to the WM's.

 So, which WM are you trying this under?

it should work the same on any window manager. i do not know which WM my
client will use.

> Shachar

thanks anyway.