Xen and storage

Etzion Bar-Noy ezaton at tournament.org.il
Tue Mar 16 01:48:06 IST 2010

Assuming your farm is a production one, suspend to disk is rather rare, and
by design, would probably not be a day-to-day process of the system. Anyhow
- suspend to disk is an operation which is being performed on NFS SR as
well, just the same (create file which contains memory dump of the VM).

NFS has other advantages, like LUN alignment and thin provisioning (assuming
you did not purchase the "foundation for Citrix XenServer" package). Also -
for real-life production systems I have seen that network communication over
iSCSI, for about 50 VMs on 5 physical servers would not exceed the 200Mb/s
at peak times.

Of course - specific applications can (and will) stress the storage and
network, however, many common storage devices cannot maintain a high rate of
random IO (common to DBs, like Oracle, MySQL, Exchange, MSSQL, etc). The
disks would commonly be the bottleneck, and not the network/FCS transport.

Don't believe me? Check your virtual farm. See what throughput you get for
your DRBD/central storage links.

Ez