Sending & receiving SMS in linux

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 21:27:58 IST 2010

Is there a standard way to send SMS from a computer in Israel?
I'm writing a program, and I want it to be able to send and recieve SMS in
Israel.

Shallow searching for the topic reveals sites such as this one
http://www.goldman.co.il/SMS2USite/ which gives many, seemingly nonstandard,
way to send SMS via the company. Many of those ways are not compatible with
Linux.

Is there a standard protocol to send and receive SMS via a computer program?
Standard means for instance, that it will be supported by many vendors, or
that it'll be supported in many countries. I'd rather keep my code as
portable and standard as possible (so no thanks, windows only COM components
are not the way to go).

Clarification, I'm not interested with a script that uses some free service
(such as ICQ) to send sms. But in paid service that is able to send many SMS
for a list of subscribers.