Sending & receiving SMS in linux

Herouth Maoz herouth at spamcop.net
Thu Mar 18 21:48:23 IST 2010

There is a standard protocol called SMPP. However, fewer and fewer
major vendors support it, as it doesn't support billing very well, and
is GSM-biased. Most SMS providers - whether they are actual cellular
providers or VARs - support some sort of HTTP based protocol - using
standard POST with name-value pairs, XML or SOAP. However, the actual
protocol (variable names, contents, authentication, XML format, return
values, capabilities) differ from supplier to supplier. So it is going
to be very hard to standardise. I suppose the best approach would be
to create protocol plugins for various vendors. You'll also have to
facilitate reception of delivery notifications.

(Proper disclosure: I work in a company that offers such services).

Herouth