Standards vs. Innovation (was: Sending & receiving SMS in linux)

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sat Mar 20 08:03:17 IST 2010

Herouth Maoz wrote:

> For example, if you standardise on a document format for spreadsheets,
> e.g. ods, you basically hurt software that represent data in an
> innovative way (for example, I used to use a spreadsheet program in
> which the data was in small grids, and these grids were connected by
> formulas - rather than the giant grid that contains formulas and data
> which we are used to).
>
> But I suppose this is a political discussion so I'd better not pursue it.
Why political?

The program you are describing is not a "spread sheet". It might be more
effective, and sure sound like it aims for a similar end market, but it
is "something different".

Innovation is, sometimes, hindered by standards, but, then again, the
opposite can also be said - lack of standards also hurts innovation.
Take any monopolistic Microsoft product as an example of that.

All in all, as long as the market is relatively competitive, things tend
to sort themselves out.

Eventually.

Shachar

--