Common problems with Ubuntu

Steve G. wordz2u at gmail.com
Mon May 10 18:23:41 IDT 2010

I have been using Ubuntu for 2-3 years or longer and find them very suitable
for the desktop (and as good as any on the server).

The programs for most part work as expected, updates are provided regularly
and mostly do not break anything. Granted, I do not use all 1134 installed
applications, but the ones that I do use work just fine.

You will have problems if you do one of the following:

1. Use the latest hardware. Support for the latest video card, sound card,
etc. may not be as stable as support for older technologies.

2. Use a 64 bit version on 64x processors. Some applications and drivers -
mostly third party vendors - are not available for Linux. I can't remember
what drove me to switch to 32 bit Ubuntu on my 64x Intel, but there was
something. It think it had to do with some video formats embedded in firefox
but I am not sure any more.

3. Some annoying glitches affect me - network manager is semi-functioning
and I had to manually edit the configuration file to give my box a static
address (but there are alternatives), the power saving feature which idles
the monitor has a mind of its own, etc.

4. It is possible in all varieties of Linux to seriously mess things up by
editing configuration files without full understanding. Often, there is no
easy way to roll back the problems. I am pretty sure I caused that to my
network manager during an upgrade, etc.

That said, these problems are nothing compared to my experience with Windows
installations - 2000, XP - and what others experienced with Vista. I have
programs that crashed the computer as soon as they were run, programs that
disabled or crippled other programs, stability problems, virus problems, you
name it.

Good luck!

Zvi.

Check out my web site - www.words2u.net