Common problems with Ubuntu

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Mon May 10 22:10:17 IDT 2010

Actually I once have had an Ubuntu at home and it did not give me any
trouble. I'm looking for a distribution for my workplace to 4 developers
seats with minimal maintainance needs. After we'll install a distribution
we're unlikely to change it, so I prefer to ask around for some general
impressions.
Your example about cars is an excellent example for what I'm seeking. For
example, it is a "common knowledge" (although I'm not sure it is really
true), that Japanese cars are very reliable. While French cars has expensive
parts, thus has a big maintainance fee.
Why is that? Why does the brand name matters? Why won't we look at the fact
sheet of each car model?
The reason is, that the engineers at a certain company, are likely to have a
certain engineering attitude, and thus many models are likely to suffer from
similar faults.
For example, Microsoft is now known for excellent security review practices.
Whichever MS software I choose, I can rest assured that it will be
relatively on the high end of security.
Moreover, some people in this list wrote things like "stay away from
Ubuntu", "anything but Ubuntu", so I wanted to know what exactly were the
problems they've had.
Geof's answer is *exactly* what I had in mind when asking the question.
An example problem which according to Geof is specific to the Ubuntu *brand* is
lack of fixes to a certain bugs even after a long time. That's the brand,
not the specific issue. I can't tell that from reading a long list of
specific problems with a certain version.