Common problems with Ubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 11 14:52:45 IDT 2010

2010/5/11 Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda <ladypine at gmail.com>:
> Hi Oleg
> When trying to use my Ubuntu for development, I ran into dependency
> troubles. I needed Eclipse, I had to manually install several java-related
> packages, the java compilers clashed (something by IBM came with eclipse, it
> was unable to compile the library I needed to hack (lucene) with it, but I
> could not get rid of the things eclipse brought with it. I ended up
> compiling only a part of Lucene, giving up on the webserver testing part,
> giving up even attempting to use the benefit of Eclipse for java (back to
> good old emacs).

Ubuntu packages three Javas, but only the Sun Java has any worth. The
other two only serve to mess up Sun Java installs. Stay away from
them.

> I am not sure Valgrind was installed by default. I do not recall any update
> offered for devel tools, but I do recall many security updates and many
> firefox updates.

No, not installed by default:

$ aptitude search valgrind
p   libtest-valgrind-perl                                          -
Perl module to test Perl code through valgrind
p   valgrind                                                       - A
memory debugger and profiler
v   valgrind-callgrind

--
Dotan Cohen