Common problems with Ubuntu

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Tue May 11 19:00:41 IDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Elazar Leibovich <elazarl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Keep in mind that a programmer can also be your average non-techie Joe who
> learned how to program with Visual Studio/Eclipse. This is the case for some
> people in my team. They rarely know what's going behind the curtains of
> Visual Studio.

Then I'd think twice before choosing a distro that does not even
deliver development tools out of the box and requires installing them.
The URL Dotan supplied explains how to install a *basic* set of build
tools for (and suggests building stuff under /usr/local/src but as a
regular user - not a good idea, IMHO). I suspect (I do not know) that
this basic set is not enough to actually *develop* SW.

I'd probably give bonus points to a distro that allows you to check a
"Development" box at install time.
Oleg Goldshmidt | oleg at goldshmidt.org