Common problems with Ubuntu

Micha Feigin michf at post.tau.ac.il
Fri May 14 22:41:33 IDT 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:37:44 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 May 2010 10:16, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I've never heard of that! Going through the manpage, it looks like you
> >> might be referring to "get-selections". Is that it? If not, can you
> >> give some more details? Thanks!
> >>

> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366
> >

> Nice, thanks!

Not as clean as it doesn't handle packages with long names (usually 4 or 5 of these installed)
Hope that I didn't miss anything, did do this occasionally (keeps things
withing apt, you can do the first part with dpkg/dselect and then fix the auto
stuff with aptitude)

aptitude search ~i > packages.txt

and on the other machine

aptitude install `cut -c 5-36 packages.txt`
aptitude markauto `grep "^..A" packages.txt | cut -c 5-36`

The only problem with this approach is that if you inhibited installation of
recommended packages on the original machine, they will still be installed on
the target (possible to store packages on the target and uninstall extra
packages based on diff)