Common problems with Ubuntu

michf at post.tau.ac.il michf at post.tau.ac.il
Fri May 14 22:59:37 IDT 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:04:58 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 May 2010 01:17, Micha Feigin <michf at post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> > Lets start with the problem that Microsoft encourages all users to be set as
> > administrators by default. It's almost impossible to be a regular user usually
> > and just switch momentary to administrator for small administration tasks ...
> >

> I thought that the last two versions of Windows corrected that.

My personal feeling is that the correct terminology is improved, not corrected.

I never worked much with Vista (tried a couple of times on other people machines and
was horrified, an experience that may have been degraded farther by the fact
that the first time I ran into it it was screaming errors at me in spanish).
Windows 7 is a bit better than XP, asks for permissions for some stuff and it's
harder to access c: but I still don't fill safe with it. Possibly due to
history, will be happy to be proven wrong.

I do still have quite a few qualms with it though on other regards. I'm deep
into GPU computing at the moment (Cuda) and what Windows vista and 7 did to the
graphics driver model is a classic example of Microsoft's approach for world
domination. The operating system is actually managing a virtual memory on the
graphics card behind the graphics driver back.

although designed to assure the DWM can always have enough memory, this causes
a bunch of unexpected and uncontrolled performance and feature issues.