virtualbox question

guy keren choo at actcom.co.il
Sat May 15 17:29:43 IDT 2010

sara fink wrote:
> I installed gentoo in virtualbox. My problem is that with the livecd it
> builds a filesystem partition that is very small and I don't have
> control on the size. If I want to add stuff there, the space is very
> limited. 119mb  for /.
> If I want to add modules to the kernel they need to sit under / , kernel
> compilation same thing.  the /usr/src/linux is 330mb. So kernel
> recompilation is out of question because it will fail with no space left.
>
> Is there any way to increase the size of / ? or other solutions?
>
> I am opened to new ideas.

2 options out of the top of my head:

1. a temporary fix: you can turn /usr/src into a symlink to another
partition.

2. a permanent fix: create another (much larger) partition, and copy the
original root partition to this new partition. find how to do this copy
while the guest system is NOT running, and find how to tell virtualbox
to use the new partition.

--guy