External monitor can only "copy" laptop's built-in

Daniel Daboul danieldaboul at gmail.com
Fri May 21 19:45:40 IDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 May 2010 18:10, Omer Zak <w1 at zak.co.il> wrote:
> > If you haven't done so, you need also to define a virtual screen size
> > which is big enough to include both physical displays.
> [...]
>
> ✈dcl:~$ xrandr --fb 1680x2100
> xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1680x1680 (desired size 1680x2100)
>

>From what I remember, you first have to get a large enough
virtual display by putting something like the below example
section into your xorg.conf and restart your X server (with
that "Screen" active).  Only then will xrandr let you "place"
your physical screens on the display as you like, using the --pos
option.

Section "Screen"
 Identifier "scrv"
 Device "intelgr"