What's inside the evrit reader?

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Sun May 30 12:45:31 IDT 2010

At 12:18:16 on Sunday Sunday 30 May 2010, Dotan Cohen
<dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 May 2010 09:48, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On May 30, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> >> Does anyone have any idea of what software is running on the new
> >> Hebrew e-ink reader evrit? Their web-page does not mention say a
> >> word about what platform it is running on, what processor it uses,
> >> whether it is firmware upgradable, etc.
> >
> > I saw the article in Yediot. I really don't care what is inside, I
> > want to know how much storage it has, if it has a USB port or memory
> > card slot for extra storage, the size and type of the screen and what
> > formats it reads. It's also awfully expensive, more than a Kindle or
> > Nook but less than an iPad.

It might be worthwhile to wait until Steimatzky figures out that it is in
the book trade, not in the electronic equipment business, and follows
Amazon in making available a free (as in lunch) software version that one
can use on equipment that one already has. I think they may have failed
to think through the need to provide hardware support for malfunctioning
gadgets. I'm using the Kimble PC on both desktop and laptom machines (in
a WinXP virtual machine -- it will work under Wine as well) and am very
happy with it. Bonus surprise: when I buy a book through the desktop
machine, it shows up automagically on the laptop as well, complete with
the place at which I stopped reading last time. What can be better.

In what format does Steimatzky publish its ebooks? Is it something exotic
that it is not supported by one of the freebie software readers?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on