What's inside the evrit reader?

Dov Grobgeld dov.grobgeld at gmail.com
Mon May 31 21:19:23 IDT 2010

I've read *lots* of ebooks on portable devices. I started off on my
PalmIIIx, which was a bit of a pain because of the low resolution and the
low contrast, continued on my Palm E2, which was great, and now I'm using
FBReader on my Nokia N900, which is near perfect. One of the advantages of
the latter two devices is that the screen is backlit, which is great when
reading in bed. No need to turn on an extra light. The only books that are
definitely not comfortable are prebroken texts, e.g. in PDF files. Note that
these are often technical texts where you need to do a lot of flipping back
and forth, e.g. to look up a definition. And eink is notoriously bad for
such use, because of its low refresh rate. See e.g.:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2011938870_kindle24.html

Thus I actually have no need for an eink device, but on the other hand
nobody is selling Hebrew books that can be read on the N900, nor are they
likely to ever do it. I'm also curious how it is to read a whole book on
ebook device.

Regards,
Dov