looking to buy ARM servers

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Tue Nov 2 17:11:34 IST 2010

Hi Muli,

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 10:14:43AM +0200, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> I am looking to purchase ARM servers, preferably with the new
> Cortex-A15 processors.

The Cortex-A15 core has just been announced by ARM. Don't expect to see actual
Cortex-A15 based chips in less than a year.

> This is to run general purpose server
> workloads, so I would like to buy full integrated servers rather than
> build them up myself from embedded boards. Any ideas who sells such
> beasties in Israel?

Are you interested in processing horsepower, or storage?

The closest thing to "server" in the ARM world is probably a NAS box. See
arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Kconfig in a recent kernel for a list of some things,
including QNAP and LaCie offerings. Since these are all ARMv5 chips with VIVT
cache, their processing capabilities are seriously limited.

baruch

--
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems