3G USB Modems

Boris shtrasman borissh1983 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 13:52:00 IST 2010

2010/11/21 Mordecha Behar <mordecha.behar at mail.huji.ac.il>

> I tried sending this before, when I wasn't a member and it bounced, or the
> moderator didn't let it in or something.
> Anyway, if this has been posted already, please forgive me.
>
> Does anybody have any experience getting any of the USB 3G modems provided
> by any one of the cell carriers here to work on Linux? I want to get one,
> but I'm not willing to commit until I know it will work. I'm not afraid of
> having to poke around the settings and stuff (I am after all a Linux user)
> but I want to know if it has been done before.
>
> Thanks.

Many of the sold here in IL have a descent module(*).
But you need to be aware other this is involed - the sim card and network
support.
While the modem itself works bugs happen all the time.
The speed presented on the modem isn't the speed you will get from the net -
as there is only support for 50% and less for some companies :

e.g. 7.2mbps written on the casing while the net supports 2.8 (written in
small letters in the contract).

<company name removed in order not to get sued> there is at least one
company that disconnect and enforce network priritazing policies.
drop speeds to 128Kbps.
sends RST packets for some websites (ips) from the internal network.

Other then that -

The module provided in an install script (it is gpl'd but the binary don't
say anything about it).