DHCP internet connection - HOT+BEZEQINT - Not getting IP

Kfir Lavi lavi.kfir at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:04:45 IST 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Lior Kaplan <kaplanlior at gmail.com> wrote:

> The last time I didn't get IP through DHCP, it was because the settings at
> HOT were reset to dailer connection.
> A quick call to the ISP and HOT solved the problem.
>
> Kaplan
>
> 2010/11/21 Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir at gmail.com>
>

>> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a very simple setup.
>>> My router (Regular PC box) running DHCP client to get IP from the
>>> provider.
>>> I don't need dialer for connecting.
>>> This setup did work for the past half a year.
>>> Two weeks ago in Friday night, my server stopped receiving IP address.
>>> Running tcpdump shows a lot of traffice on the network of HOT. I see
>>> people sending requests and getting dhcp replays.
>>> I also see connections of bittorent that where active trying to reach my
>>> computer.
>>> After one hour fighting with HOT representative, she told me, hey you got
>>> an IP.
>>> Well, I did.
>>>
>> One thing is, I called HOT on Sunday, and when talking to them, I got an
>> IP address. So all weekend without Internet.
>>
>> Now this Friday morning the same thing happened. No IP is offered to me.
>>> I can see my computer sending requests, but no replays are sent to me.
>>> I asked them to check that they get my requests, but they don't want to
>>> do that.
>>>
>> Again, all weekend no Internet, and still no IP offered at this time of
>> writing
>>

>>> Does someone knows why this can happen?
>>> My guess is that they ran out of IP's, or there is a blocking software on
>>> the DHCP server which blacks my MAC. (Oh, I didn't change my MAC address for
>>> checking. I'll do it tonight. )
>>> My download rate is 300kb, so its very low package, and and it doesn't
>>> seem to be a bandwidth problem.
>>>
>>> What is going there behind the seen with this DHCP server ?
>>> Can it be my fault?
>>> I have the white Motorola modem.
>>>
>>> Today at night a representative of HOT should call me when I'm back home
>>> to ..... (CLOSE, RESTART... etc... "What ?!?! its not windows?? How come you
>>> don't have start button?" well, what can you do.)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kfir

> Ok,
Talking today to Bezeqint, they just said I need to contact Hot.
Well Yesterday Hot didn't want to solve this problem for me.
Today the representative of Bezeqint called Hot, and a very good tech guy
answered.
He without to many questions tried to change my connection to dialer, so my
computer will take IP 172...
Then he changed it to without dialer and my computer did take 84... IP.
I have left my dhcp service restarting in a loop every 1 minute. Hope this
will not cause a problem today.

So the solution was:
Reset my connection to dialer, then reset it back to DHCP connection.

After that the representative saw that last week she did the same thing,
which solved the problem.
Now the question is why this happens?
At Hot he said that he will call the sysadmins that responsible for this
server. Hope he will do that.

Do any one of you knows what can cause this problem at Hot servers ?

Regards,
Kfir